Friday, July 24, 2009

The Recipe Project, FINALLY Completed!

A year ago, my grandmother asked me and my sister, Annie, to help her compile a collection of her mother's best loved recipes. I am excited to announce that I've finally finished it. It took much longer than I had hoped, but unfortunately had to put on the back burner with all that has happened in the last year (ie: career change, new baby, life, etc.)

This is not a book I'll pull out to cook with, but a collection of photographs of my great-grandmother, Ruth Rowe Thomas, her recipes, and memories from her children of the nurturing my grandmother did through her cooking. I enjoyed reading about my great-grandmother and hope that my cooking and baking can do for my posterity what her cooking did for hers. I also loved that my grandmother came and baked up a storm up at my house so that I could photograph some of the food. I loved taking the pictures and I loved indulging a bit in the food too. These are some of my favorite layouts. I was never a fan of this recipe for raisin-filled cookies which I remember my grandmother always having to stop at the Payson bakery to buy when she would come down here. But she left a dozen at my house and let's just say, we didn't leave a single crumb.

I also love this one because there's a little snippet of the same recipe in my great-grandmother's handwriting.

And I love this one because it shows that my great-grandmother made her own cough syrup - something that I think in our generation has been lost.

Thank you Gram, for letting me be a part of this project. I will always cherish my copy of the book, the time we got to spend together making it, and the memories I have with Great-Grandma Thomas.

If you'd like to see the entire version or purchase a copy of it, click here.
Also, I am planning to post a few of the recipes on my food blog. I'm only about 20 recipes behind there, so I'll make an announcement when I'm finally caught up there.

3 comments:

Gma & Gpa Phillips said...

How do I get a copy of this beautiful book? You are amazing and I can't wait to see you again as well.

Lindy said...

Again, this is wonderful work! What a great thing to have.

Dents said...

daisy!!what an awesome book. I remember your first draft with the infamous snickerdoodle recipe...if I recall my chicken strips made it in :) I am excited to work on my blog book now!