Wednesday, August 17, 2016

A Fifth Grader and a Second Grader

Summer left just as fast as it arrived and this year seems a little bit different. I, for one, didn't have reoccurring nightmares throughout the summer that it was the first day of school and my students had arrived and there were no desks, nor chairs, let alone planning done on my part. I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but it feels good. And it only took me 9 years to get here. I hope it's not a fleeting feeling of calmness. The Honduras trip was a good thing for me.

And the girls. They are getting so big. So independent. So helpful. Yes, I know this is just day 1, but I'm feeling appreciative of their proactive attitudes and their willingness to help more and more in the daily routine. They were excited last week to pick out their very own alarm from amazon and have loved getting up to that. Marcela made her famous breakfast burritos for all of us and Cecilia helped at dinner by helping with the salad and getting drinks for all of us after she saw that I sat down exhausted. Marcela even helped out by getting Armando to help her fill out the of the back-to-school paperwork with Armando while I made dinner. As Cecilia would say it was a Win-Win-Win-Win-Win. :)

Our 1st day of school photo ritual was adjusted a bit because Marcela, although willing to make breakfast for everyone, was not feeling too willing to pose for the camera. She was worried we'd be running late to school and just wanted to get out the door. Cecilia, on the other hand, would have loved to take a few more. Funny how they change. It has been the exact opposite in years past. I'll take what I can get. Sure love my girls. And watching them grow is hard and wonderful at the same time.

So, here's our little moment frozen in time. I'll blink and tomorrow they'll be taller. Our fifth and second graders: